The team carries out detailed assessments and fittings of manual and powered wheelchairs for people in Great Yarmouth and Waveney. We can adapt specialist wheelchairs to suit an individual’s needs and supply cushions and accessories if required. The majority of our work is carried out in the patient’s home but clinics are also provided at Kirkley Mill Health Centre in Lowestoft.
We aim to provide essential mobility and improve the quality of life for those with long term mobility problems and associated postural needs, ensuring that our service users can maintain an active, healthy and independent life, as far as their condition will allow. We do not provide electric wheelchairs for outside use only.
The team is made up of a wheelchair service coordinator, occupational therapist, rehab engineer and rehab support worker. In making an assessment, we consider the holistic needs of our service users including social, educational, lifestyle and family / carer requirements as well as their clinical needs. We also:
- Ensure that service users are well informed and supported through their personal health plan
- Provide technical advice to users and their families/carers
- Provide and promote postural management to reduce the risk of increased deformity, encourage optimum sitting balance and manage / reduce pain levels
- Provide guidance on pressure relief to assist with prevention of and recuperation from pressure sores or skin ulcers
- The service is available between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Referrals to our wheelchair service need to be made through a GP or health professional using the referral form below unless you are already known to the service in which case you can contact us directly.